Do I Need To Obtain Planning Permission?

This is a question that needs answering before you have a single storey, ground floor extension constructed at your house as it could otherwise prove very costly.

A knowledgeable home improvement specialist like Bon Accord Glass will be able to advise you on this subject and you can also contact the planning department at your local authority for useful direction.

However, the rules are pretty clear-cut when it comes to these types of installations.

Ask yourself the following questions and if you answer “yes” to any of them, a planning application must be submitted. Answer “no” to all of them and you can proceed with the installation without needing to apply for planning permission:


  • Is your house located in a conservation area?


  • Will any part of the extension be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation, where that elevation fronts a road?


  • Will any part of the extension be within one metre of the boundary of the curtilage of the house and will it extend beyond the line of the wall forming part of the rear elevation that is nearest to that boundary by more than 3 metres in the case of a terraced house or 4 metres in any other case?


  • Will the eaves height of the extension surpass 3 metres?


  • Will the height of any part of the extension surpass 4 metres?


  • Will the area of ground covered by the extended house be more than twice the area of ground covered by the original house?


  • Will the area of ground covered by the extended house within the front and rear curtilage of the house (excluding the original house and any hard surface or decking area) exceed 50% of the area of the front or rear curtilage respectively (again, excluding the ground area of the original house and any hard surface or decking)?


When Permitted Development Rights apply, you can proceed without planning permission, but check in case they have been removed. If they have been removed, you will need to make a planning application.

If you need any further clarification about Planning Permission in Scotland, speak to us and download a copy of our Helpful Guide to Planning Permission for reference.





Read what's going on at Bon Accord Glass

COVID-19 Coronavirus Update

Here at Bon Accord Glass we want you to know we’re prioritising your health and safety in response to the current COVID-19 outbreak. We want…

Read more

The Bon Accord Glass January Sale Is Now On!

We know that some of you will have made it an objective to improve your home in 2020, and there’s no time like the present…

Read more

Merry Christmas And Thank You From Bon Accord

The Christmas celebrations are about to begin, and another year is about to come to an end for the Bon Accord team. It’s gone so…

Read more
Get A Quote Now! Request A Brochure VIRTUAL APPOINTMENT

All content © 2020 Bon Accord Glass Limited. Registered in Scotland: SC 87148

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.